The Cheyney Foundation
Mission & Vision
The mission of the Cheyney Foundation is to fundraise, promote and support academic excellence, innovation and sustainability of Cheyney University.
Our vision is to create and support long-term sustainable programming, foster innovation and promote an environment of high level academic achievement for all students at Cheyney University. The Cheyney Foundation assists in leveraging its resources to make Cheyney University, the premiere HBCU in the nation, with an unparalleled educational experience that is sought after internationally.
The Executive Director of the Cheyney Foundation provides operational support to The Cheyney Foundation (The Foundation) Board of Directors. The incumbent’s primary responsibility is to lead all Foundation fundraising initiatives in a professional, public, and forward-leaning manner. The Executive Director represents The Cheyney Foundation at all conferences, meetings, public events and is the primary interface between Cheyney University and its affiliate organizations.
The Executive Director supervises all staff and provides strategic guidance on major initiatives. The Executive Director is responsible for researching and obtaining grants for The Foundation and Cheyney University. The incumbent will provide quarterly progress reports to The Cheyney Foundation Board of Directors at the Director’s quarterly meetings, and is responsible for the fundraising development efforts and “planning giving” programs as The Cheyney Foundation continues to grow.
The successful candidate should demonstrate a record of accomplishments in development and foundation management including: Five (5) years of experience in an executive level management role of a comprehensive developing organization and five (5) years of experience in advancement in a higher education or non-profit setting encompassing skill and ability at working with and eliciting donations from private donors and corporations; excellent communication skills with the ability to provide clear messaging with a balance of assertiveness and diplomacy, both within and outside of the organization; strong analytical abilities to assess, plan, and executive strategy that advances the mission of the organization; a balanced and managerial style that instills trust, motivates and empowers others to achieve great results; a creative thinker and has the ability to resolve complex issues. The incumbent has integrity, confidence in decision making and has a commitment to the mission and vision of The Cheyney Foundation.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITES INCLUDE:
- Provides leadership and oversees all core functions of The Cheyney Foundation
- Must have an open and collaborative style of leadership that encourages teamwork and cooperation, and be a strong role model, manager and coach.
- Develops and executes long-range strategic plans for the welfare of The Foundation
- Develops and carries out annual fundraising plans, campaigns, and marketing events and ensuring operating procedures are current and reflect the requirements of other University offices and local, state, and federal regulations.
- Assures that all corporate documents, records, and reports are maintained in a manner that facilitates easy retrieval for Board inquiries
- Develop management succession planning to assure that capable management is in place to handle the work long into the future
- Prepares responses to critical corporate correspondence
- Maintains reports of progress on various assignments
- Arranges “Secretarial” duties for Board meetings
- Represents The Foundation at public events
- Responds to media inquiries
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The incumbent must be willing to travel and work outside traditional hours as may be necessary.
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing and/or Financial
- ManagementKnowledgeable in fundraising, non-profit management, accounting, information technology, public affairs, and post-secondary education.
- Three to five years of supervisory experience
- Excellent oral and written skills and the ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, colleagues, and external constituents
- Must be self-motivated and a highly detailed, oriented problem solver with the ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions
This is a full time contractual position with salary ranging from $75,000 to $90,000 and is dependent upon qualifications and experience of the applicant. No benefits are offered for this position. The position is physically located on the campus of Cheyney University in Cheyney, Pennsylvania.
Candidates should submit their application package which consists of a cover letter, resume, and up to five references with contact information (name, phone number, email address, relationship, and length of relationship) to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the title: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR APPLICANT in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Cheyney University and The Cheyney Foundation is an affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.